Monday, January 11, 2010

Holiday Gift Monday: Bed post pillows

This Christmas I decided to try something new with gift-giving. I asked each girl to think about a gift they would like to give their other sister. I didn't say it had to be handmade - rather I let them dream and we back filled with an idea that could be managed at home, with materials on hand. I was amazed with how quickly my mind adapted to putting an idea into action and am even more amazed with how important these gifts are to the girls.

Here are the simple gifts that the twins gave each other. One said, "I think my sister would like Rudolph," and the other said, "I think my sister would like a unicorn." I worked with each girl separately and quickly found images that could be used as templates. They each sat with me while I cut out the shapes from cheap poly felt. Then that was about it for their attention span and I let them go to play while I finished up.

I thought about framing the felt cut-outs, but wanted something more interactive. And the bed post/door knob pillow idea was born. I sewed the cut-outs to a piece of white linen (9-inch square), sewed two squares into a pillow, threw in some stuffing - just enough to make them poofy - and placed a ribbon in the top seam for hanging. The back is embroidered with their name and the date. The girls have taken to hanging them on their bed posts and the door knobs to their closets. But I also like them hung up on the wall. Wouldn't a whole series of these look great on the wall? You could do an entire theme - automobiles, flowers, whatever - and hang them in a row or group. I think they would look great. Art that is kid-friendly, homemade, interactive and beautiful.

Up next is the gift the twins chose for their little sister...





4 comments:

Rebekah said...

these are adorable! That's so sweet of them to want to make things for each other

Juniper said...

Very sweet and thoughtful gift idea, starting the home made creative impulses already. What a good mama!

ten finger workshop said...

that is a great idea, I loved that you listened to each, really special.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love these! What a wonderful idea. Do you use wool felt?